On Monday the day was spent again with CIVB until Nathanael handed me two maps and only half coherent directions to drive to the small town of Cadillac about 35 km away to pick up some more of the treatment we use for preventing mildew. Deciding to think of it as an adventure, I saddled up in the old Peugeot with my camera in the passenger seat and was off. Counter to my sense of impending doom I was able to follow the route with little problem, making my way from one small town to the next and finally crossing the Gironde and arriving at the town of Cadillac, which lies just outside of the sweet white wine-producing town of Barsac. I had a little trouble finding the depot, as did the locals I managed to ask, but eventually was able to cherche the product and begin my journey back. On the way to Cadillac I encountered a huge field of sunflowers, and having sufficient time to think about it, I decided to stop on the way back and take a few shots.
Later that evening Nathanael hosted a small party with his former colleagues and old friends, which I was welcomed to, and spent an enjoyable evening in good company behind the castle eating, drinking, and being merry.
The week progressed at somewhat of a quieter pace than the week prior, with Tuesday seeing more CIVB work and blogging. On Tuesday Thierry and family moved into the castle. It has been a welcome change since I've been wanting to further develop my relationship with him, which I now have more of an opportunity to do at the cost of the now shattered tranquility in the form of his four adorable children who've taken to rampaging through the courtyard in search of lizards, blackberries, a good dust-up, and any stagiers that get in the way. Ines seems to have an innate instinct that allows her to sniff me out with basset hound-like precision.
In the middle of the week I decided that despite the fact that almost all chateau close during the month of August I would put together a list of properties in Sauternes and Barsac that I would like to visit and try my luck anyway. Concocting my list of the top 5 or so properties I handed it to Sylvie, who's been happy to call on my behalf, only to hear back later that I couldn't get into any of them due to the bad timing, including Chateau Climens, the top Barsac property and owned by Thierry's sister Berenice Lurton. I hadn't totally given up yet though, as during the week Midou and Habier were again playing babysitter to the son of Berenice Lurton, and anticipating her return on Friday to pick him up I decided I would pose the question to her myself. When Friday evening rolled around I happened to be sitting with Midou outside his home and enjoying Morrocan tea while engaging in our english/french lessons when Berenice pulled up and after greeting us was off on the business of cherche-ing her son to bring back home when Midou prodded me forward into asking, as best I could in my just somewhat comprehensible french, for a tour on the following week. Berenice seemed happy to fulfill my request and in the ensuing conversation I recounted the usual story about how I became interested in wine involving an encounter with her cousin, with her replying "so you saw god and now you want to be a prophet?" ... My response was a measured one, as I couldn't let on with as much laughter as I wanted that I enjoyed the dramatism as much as I did, but I confirmed her assertion and shortly afterward she was off with her son Orillian and I had a number to call on Monday morning with Berenice's blessing.
The weekend was typically quiet and spent reading, blogging, and working on a small side project. During one of my walks through the vines I was surprised to notice that some of the grapes were starting to change from green to purple and so veraison was just beginning:
All in all it was a quieter but still enjoyable week, and I look forward to what next week has to offer as I anticipate a visit at Chateau Climens early on in the week with a possibility of a visit to the famed Chateau Cheval Blanc.
While at Climens ask why most Barsac/Sauternes achieve honeyed lemon zest notes but, only a few get orange zest and pineapple notes while even fewer still gain a hint of coconut.
Boring weekends??? Get out there man!!
Cheers,
Scott