This weekend Chateau Camarsac played host as we had our monthly "doors open" event where visitors are led through the castle and get to do some wine tasting in an effort build a reputation with the local residents and to sell wine. To help Mideaux and Habier's youngest son Yaseen make money for his upcoming trip to Chicago, they set up a stand where visitors can get Morrocan tea and cookies, all home made by Habier, who's an excellent cook.


Mideaux and son Yaseen
In fact, on Sunday Habier and Mideaux invited me for lunch, which was to be the second time that week that I'd eaten with them. The elegant and intellectual cuisine of the top restaurants in Bordeaux certainly have their place, and I'm a huge admirer of them, but Habier's kitchen is a restaurant that has only one table and you can't make a reservation. It's privillege to enjoy her home-made, traditional and outstanding food sitting with the familly at their dining room table in her tiny kitchen.

Since "La Fete de la musique" was taking place in Bordeaux, on Sunday we had some great Argintinian groups come and play at the castle. There was also a group of vintage car enthusiasts with some fairly interesting older cars that were invited to drive up and park just infront of the castle for onlookers.



On Sunday night I was invited to go with Yaseen and his older brother to downtown Bordeaux. This worked out to be a perfect opportunity to get the introduction to the city that I'd been hoping for as we bar hopped and made our way through a maze of tiny restaurants and hangouts amidst a healthy crowd that had come out for the fireworks and the "fete de la musique" earlier in the day. At about 11:00 pm most people were gathered in the Place de la Bourse for what was to be one of the most stunning fireworks displays I'd ever seen. After meeting up with two more of the brother's friends, a couple, we headed over to the city centre. After having champagne directly behind an absolutely beautiful old carousel in the middle of the street we decided to call it a night. They'd like to make plans with me for next weekend and since I enjoyed the group's company so much I'm certainly looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment